Sunday, November 05, 2006

Yuan Jin's Post-Trip Refections

Looking back on the memories of Cambodia, it seems blurry and yet exceptionally wonderful.

When we first landed in Cambodia, I see all around me dark-tanned Cambodians, skinny cows, too many people on a motorcycle and tones of sand. Cambodia is a less developed country compared to Singapore; hence there wasn’t much high-rise building. This was my first impression of Cambodia.

Our stay at FAG was fantastic. The children there are wonderful; they address us as Brothers or Sisters, something that would never happen in Singapore. Hearing “Hello Sister!” brings warmth to me. The kids there really appreciate whatever they have in life (even though what they have is little) and never take things for granted. They really cherish the chance to go to school. But for us, Singaporean kids, I feel that most of us just go to school for the sake of going to school and getting a diploma certificate. Whereas FAG kids take pride in doing their homework, cleaning up the school compound during the holidays and they have ambition at such young age. Most of their ambition will eventually contribute to the Cambodia’s society, be it a teacher, doctor or lawyer. Ultimately they want to help to build a better Cambodia, help their following Cambodians and improve Cambodia’s standard of living and economy. And sad to say, I don’t think I have goal unless you count wanting to get into a local University a goal. Also, I don’t know what I can do to contribute back to the society. After getting to know the FAG kids, I felt that they are contended with what they are and have and that there isn’t a need for us to bring joy or happiness to them. Yes, we gave them clothes, notebook, pens and a memory of us but in return, they made me view life in a different light.

Shopping at Cambodia is “ABSOLUTELY GREAT!” Why? Cause I get to bargain, bargain and bargain! Well, that’s not important. What’s important is that I get to see Cambodia’s wet and dry market. And yup, hygiene is definitely a problem there and of cause you can see litter everywhere. But that’s part and parcel of Cambodia.

BAC and FAG are poles apart. The surroundings of BAC are rice fields and grasslands, magnificent scenery. The kids at BAC are much younger and understand/speak limited English. But nonetheless, they are utterly adorable. Singing simple songs, playing easy games, playing in the rain, playing with mud and running about can make them happy and brings lots of joy to their life. Just by watching them makes me realized how simple life can be and yet we always complex it. And maybe it’s also due to the technological devices we own, such as television, computer and mp3. Speaking about technological devices, I’m rather amazed at how I can survive 15 days without television and laptop. And also, in Cambodia, I lost track of the day, date and time, these just seems unimportant and irrelevant when I was over there, unlike Singapore, every minute and seconds matters.

The trip was a superb and fruitful experience. The impression I had of Cambodia have changed, I’m in love with their fascinating culture, their breath-taking landscapes and lovely Cambodia kids at FGA and BAC. It certainly left memorable prints and made an impact in my life. And I have never regret joining Serve Cambodia 2006 and if I have the chance, I want to join the Serve team again and again. I will remember the obstacles we overcome together and cherish the friendships forged and most importantly, the times we spent in Cambodia.

“What one has not experienced, one will never understand in print”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home