Sunday, October 29, 2006

post-trip post by peiwen

It was a life changing experiencing community service trip in Cambodia. Be it the children of Cambodia, my team mates, my lecturers or the activities done, each of it has made an lasting impact in my life and it will continue making a difference in my life.

The friendships and the memories in each of the places visited made this experience invaluable and unforgettable. Remembering the days I have spent in FGAC and BAC, even though there were language barriers, culture and race differences but connecting and communicating with the children was not stumbling block to me. There was an unexplainable mutual human feeling drawn towards each other that communing together was not a problem.

Indeed, we went there to bless them with our hands and efforts in providing them a better environment of learning- mural painting and painting of their canteen, a basketball court for activities, footpath for better transportation, health care-delicing, carnival etc. but they have blessed me so much more by experiencing their lifestyle by living among them, gaining knowledge about their country, culture and language.

Knowing them personally has made me established friendships with them and even understanding their life background help me to empathize what they went through. It was not an easy life like what a normal Singaporean child would go through. Life is to be treasured isn’t to be taken granted for. I am very inspired by their perseverance in studying and striving hard for their education so that they may be able to provide for their family who maybe far away from them. I encountered a brother who shared with me how he decided to give up studying in the bible college so that he can work to provide for his family. He has 6 other brothers and sisters plus parents to provide for. The load of providing financially for a family like that would definitely not be easy alone. I boldly would ask how many of us would think of giving up our studies and dreams if we were in his position.

I am also very much encouraged by their hope in life and the never say die spirit I felt so strong in them. Things was not provided as naturally for them yet they strive and they believe that one day they will make it out of their poverty, out of the sufferings and out of the pain they may face each day. Many of us would probably complain and give up half way in when facing sufferings in our lives, how many of us would be the one of the few that make it in the ending of the race?

Another learning point that could be worth thinking about is problems we face in our lives. The problems we face each day, to us could be a major problem, but at another end of the world, people face problems like a roof over their head, the 3 meals they have to worry each day. So what are the problems we face compared to theirs?

The trip has made things very real to me. The reports and news we see daily on the television are reality, it is happening and it is not far away from us. It was a trip that has made me reflect a lot and I believe this experience would make a difference in others life when I share with them.

Before ending off, I would like to appreciate each and everyone in the team because we made it and survived. I believe there were many times that we were out of our comfort zones and discouraging moments during the trip. But I would like to say it was not the moments that we disagreed or were unhappy with each other but it is the moments that each and everyone of us struggled that we learnt grew to love and accommodate each other and relationships and friendships built among each other that we are remembering and cherished.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home