Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Pre-Trip Post by Mabia =D

It’s now 11.43pm in the night. In 4 more hours I will be leaving home for the airport. Off to Cambodia. On what purpose am I going there for? SERVICE LEARNING that is. Finally, I learnt and understand the meaning and differences between service learning and community service. To think that I kept on saying “community service” in the past before the bonding camp at Punggol where I understood and learnt a lot about the cultures, practices of Cambodia and a lot of other stuffs. I am totally grateful.

Year 1 semester 1, when I am still a greenhorn in the polytechnic and am undoubtedly alien to what are being offered in the School of BA and others, I tend to hold back. However, when I got to know of the Serve trips being organized by School of BA, I told myself, I wanted to go for this trip at least once during the journey of my three years in this polytechnic. My friend then joined and so, for two consecutive semesters, I let this opportunity slipped past me. This semester I did not. I signed up the form with some of my friends and went for the interview. Unfortunately, my friends did not get in and I remembered during the interview and the confirmation, I was asked, “You sure you confirm you want to go if your friends are not selected?” Back then, I know I’m sure not to get selected if I answered “No” and I will not be able to go and when my friends are selected. So I answered “Yes”, and I am prepared for it. Really, even if my friends are not selected. So there I am, now preparing to go for Serve Cambodia Trip.

Sitting in the middle of the mess, CHOOSING what to bring over to Cambodia. Seriously, do the people in Cambodia have such luck like us to CHOOSE what to wear? I don’t think so. Singaporeans like me, are choosy and fussy over what we wear, what we eat. People in Cambodia are already very much contented if they have a roof over their heads. Shame on us. In order to be independent, to learn to show care and concern for the less fortunate, to lend a helping hand when we can, to experience what and how life is over at the other end of the world, I’ve always wanted to go for an overseas service learning trip. Of course, not necessarily overseas trip because, what can we do overseas when we are unable to even help our fellow elderly and the less fortunate in Singapore? Everything starts from scratch. Everything has its own originality. So we have to start from servicing our own country mates. We went to the so-called old folk’s home as our pre-service trip. It had been a wonderful experience as we can interact to a lot of elderly and we are able to communicate well. It’s been a pleasure to see how much they welcome and love us. So touching. So back to main point. Now I have got this chance to do my part, I will definitely make use of it to do my best to do what I can. Although there are sure to be conflicts, be it silent or verbal ones between the team mates, we know we are there to solve it, we are sure to go through all rough patches and blunders together. Am I not right?

Now that we are going to Cambodia, with most of us still unknowing what and how life there is and what is going to happen, I am sure no matter what happens, we will bring the best of what we can to the people of Cambodia, let them feel that love is all around the world and that they are being cared for. Strive on! Serve Cambodia 2006.

Mabia =D

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home