Friday, November 24, 2006

Stanley

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
US poet (1807 - 1882)

Indeed just a little love, a small effort, a tiny sacrifice and some time can make a different in someone life.

After I went to Cambodia than I truly understand what is to live in a developing country. Feeling so fortunate to have a comfortable house to live in, clean and hygienic food to eat and also neat and smooth road to travel. Perhaps after living in Cambodia for 2 weeks I became of them.

When I first arrived at the capital of Cambodia I was shocked but what I saw. No tall building, no huge roads and it looks so different from Singapore. I began to open my eye, my ears and started to feel. The green pasture, the plots of padi fields, the herds of cows, the beautiful sun and clouds I know Cambodia have much to offer.

I felt so curious in many things making me asks lots of questions, as I wanted to know more about Cambodia. I began to understand their history, the problems the people faces and how is their daily life. I started to think that a simple life like the Cambodian is not as bad.

I felt most deeply is when I heard about the pol pot the genocides, where the past government killed his own people in order to “Purify” them. So many people were lost, so many families were broken, so many sadness in people and so much pain and suffering. If those people are alive perhaps Cambodia will not be in this state. I am really wondering why a person would want to bring so much harm to others to make him happy. Is this one of the human nature? When I went to one of the killing field, seeing all the skulls and bones I start to ponder what kind of pain that the people were going though that time and how they can contribute ( most of them are educated people like doctor, politician, teacher ect) to their country.

As I walk though their market, their shopping area and their schools. I was stunned. It was not air-conditioned, no proper road, not cemented stalls, and all muddy paths way, everywhere is stuff with rubbish and strange smell roam the area. The biggest shopping area in Cambodia is not even the size of any heartland malls in Singapore. Only than I realized what is to live in the country. It may sound weird but I what I see perhaps is how my grandparents were living in the 60s in Singapore.

When the bus passed though the houses of the people I saw the rusted roof, the broken house I felt so lucky to have a HDB flat in Singapore, and perhaps our small house could be a heaven to them. (Refer to the poor only in Cambodia; the rich can be really very rich. However 40% of the people are living under the poverty line)

However went began to interact with resident in the home than I truly experience something extra in Cambodia. I think with really make me feel for them is that what ever we did something for them they would always have a “thank you” behind and a smile. This little action makes a different. They appreciate what we did for them and the do not demand anything form us. Perhaps some little things to us were a great difference in their life and that is why they are so nice and kind to us.

What I cannot forget is that how they prayed for me, I remember one boy pulling my hands and prayed for me twice, those little actions really melted my heart at that time. Seeing so much concern in them toward us I am wondering do we give much love to our peers.

I really miss the resident in the two homes, both FGAC and BAC.

I really want to thank Miss Chew, Mr Ng, and BA Care, Serve team and Cambodia for giving me such memorable experience. I think this Trip gave me something extra.

I remember before I went for the trip I began with a quotation

We make a living by what we get, we make a life but what we give.

Indeed is true I made my life by what I gave in Cambodia.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home