Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Pre-Post Trip - Jian Zhou

In another last than 6 hours, I and the Serve Cambodia team will be on the plane, begin our journey to a place where I never been before to do Community Service, or rather, Service Community. This would be the 1st time I going overseas without parents’ companion. Thinking about this and some other reasons like of my brother and parents’ health and my younger brother’s exam , I will have a very reluctant feeling to go Cambodia, but then 17th this year and since I came this far, I think I should not drop my duties and carry on, doing something big alone.

I came across this Serve Cambodia when my friend asked me to join. And hearing a lot from my seniors and brother who was previously a Ngee Ann student too, this really interest me. I never regret joining this team because I came to know different kinds of people and at the same time, get to make new great friends. I still could remember only after the WIL-KEYS program that people start to get bonded among one another. And also, through our bonding camp, we came to know what kinds of characteristics we have in our team, how to communicate in order to avoid conflicts among each other and produce results became something which I believed everyone has learnt from the camp.

24 different individuals, originally didn’t know one another, came together to perform something for the outside world is definitely something which is difficult to accomplish. However, we made it seemed like the last 3 months had been a fruitful one. When told to others that our group has not yet done our service in Cambodia, some people wouldn’t have believed because of the way we acted, as if we have known each other for at least a year or so.

Being in this Serve team, I believed my purpose is really to help the people there, to help build a new and better place, but at the same time, having fun while working. Although I have done a lot of community services in Singapore, it is kind of different when you work overseas because of the environment, different kinds of people and unpredictable situations which you may not have faced before here. Watched a lot of documentaries when I was young, part of being influenced by my father, I have learnt a lot and realized how fortunate we are living in Singapore where water and food are readily available. Although my parents keep on saying that I still do not really have the survival skills yet, I am willing to try out this time.

I believed that this trip will be something which will bring the people there and us happiness, and also, valuable lessons of living to be learn. I hoped that conflicts among one another will be as minimal as possible and of course, everyone will enjoy every single thing they do there and instead of complaining why the thing happened, think about why this will happen and the ways to prevent the same thing from happening.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home