Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Pre trip post - [eStHeR]

“Experience is not what happens to a man; it is what a man does with that happened to him.” – Aldous Huxley
[just another 3hours before i see all you at the airport =))]

Life hasn't been quite the same for the past month. Holiday had been really different from all the previous ones. Holiday would usually means working and plainly hanging out with friends. For this holiday, I had been busy juggling work, meeting up with friends as well as preparing for this serve Cambodia trip. It is an experience little has, it is an experience that I chose to make it happens.

I took a big step out to apply for Serve Cambodia 2006, not knowing what’s going to happen. This is already the 3rd year of my polytechnic life, for the past 2 years, poly life simply means coming to school for lectures and tutorials. This trip is going to be a lifetime experience, a turning point in my poly life. When I first told my dad that I want to go to Cambodia to help the people there, he would go like “Don’t go lah! There are mines, very dangerous.” Now that he allows me to go for this trip, it just proves that he had build trust in me, know that I had grown up and would take good care of myself.

I had been living in Singapore, in our own comfort zone for the past 18 years or so. I had always been pretty lucky, able to get into the secondary school and polytechnic of my choice as well as being able to study a course that I had interest in. Truthfully, I had never ever suffered before; I had been hiding under the wings of my parents all along. They had been protecting, caring me all my life, even till when I was packing my luggage my mum would be there asking if I had brought this and that along, etc.

It is time for me to do something, to help those little children who are not as fortunate as me. They are as fortunate as me but it doesn’t means that they are not as happy as I am. To each individuals, how to find happiness are different. Some people could easily be happy, while some have higher expectations. Hopefully, my presence there could bring a smile on their faces and hopefully, I could learn some things from them.

A part of me wanted to do something for the society, while another part of me wanted to go on this trip for an experience and to learn. Sometimes, I wonder whether I am going this trip for my own sake of is it to help others. During the bonding camp, we had been asked a question, are we going on a service trip or learning trip? I do not have the answer to it; perhaps there wouldn’t even be a model answer to this question or I might have the answer to this question only after the trip.

Through the bonding camp, I realized that I would be living with another 23 different people. Each one of us has different live, different experience, different opinion, different thinking and different ways of doing things. We can’t change anyone and we shouldn’t be changing anyone, each one of us is unique in our own ways. However, there are bounded to be conflicts. This is why there is a need for all of us to learn to accept one another, whether it’s the flaws or beauty that we have inside us.

This trip is definitely a lifetime experience that I cannot miss. We would go as team and come back feeling like a family. =)

esther

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home