Sunday, September 24, 2006

Pre-trip post! Enjoy!

I have always been living in comfort due to my parents’ hard work and I got to admit, there are times when I take my family, friends and money for granted. I know how lucky I am to be born into the Goh family, living in Singapore where it’s strategically located, it has a stable government and it’s a peaceful country. But there are times when I lose myself and find my life meaningless. Hence the decision to join Serve Cambodia because I want to know what it’s like to live in a less developed country and how it feels to be them, eating, working and sleeping in poverty. And I’m in need of a change in environment even though it will only be for two weeks.

The Serve Cambodia team has been meeting up constantly for the past few weeks. Yes, there are conflicts, differences in opinions and unsetting issues, but I hope that we can learn to accept one another’s flaws and accept that person for who he/she is. That’s always two sides of a coin, what you perceive may be different from me but that doesn’t mean either of one of us is wrong. I guess everyone needs to keep an open mind and accept other opinions.

Two weeks before, I was very excited about the Cambodia trip and anticipated tons of fun. But today, I am somehow afraid to expect too much. Nonetheless, I hope this trip would make a difference in my life as it will definitely be a memorable journey. I expect a different me when I’m back from Cambodia or rather a much better me. I want to learn to be independent, selfless, to have a caring heart, to curb my temper and improve my tolerance and patience. Through this trip, I wish to get to know all the 24 of us better and to not judge others based on words of mouth but through interaction. And that when we are back in Singapore, we will all still remain as friends and not foes. Forgive and forget.

I hope I can help the people of Cambodia and that I can bring them joy and laughter. And also that our stay there would leave them memorable prints in their life as it will definitely have an impact on mine.

As for the Serve Cambodia Team 2006, I feel that we are going that with the same goal and intentions, so let’s do everything with perseverance and patience. The road ahead may seem daunting at times but with will power, we will see the light at the end of the tunnel. And we should enjoy doing everything out of passion and loves. It is pointless doing something that you are forced to do.

Let’s enjoy our trip, have tons of fun and laughter and not be crippled by obstacles along the way but try to overcome them. =D

YuanJin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home