Monday, September 18, 2006

Reflections before the Cambodia trip-Stanley =D

We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston ChurchillBritish politician (1874 - 1965)

With this quotation in mind to serve and to give the less fortunate I took the first in joining this Cambodia trip. Wanting to broaden my horizon and to see the world we live in. Perhaps living in Singapore we have everything we want and have a stable government to take care all of the citizens. We do not need to worry too much about food, water and shelter these basic necessities; we cannot see how many people from other country is living in poverty and constant struggle for survival.

Watching the Documentary about the developing country I have always want to experience it myself being there. Looking at the poor, the staving, the death, the sadness in people in the television I wish I could do something. Luckily in NP I have the opportunity to do something for the poor. Although it may be a two weeks trip, we cannot save the people; we cannot change the people life and eliminate they gloominess. However I believe it will make a different in myself.

We make a living by what we get but what we get does not write our life. We may have big car, luxury house and tons of money but that does not mean happiness. True we can live lavishly but the heart of one person will not me full if we do not give. It does not mean we have to serve the poor, but at least make someone happy. Family members, friends? Only when we give then we will feel the fullness in ourselves, it does not mean money but true giving. A spoken thanks form the people and a smile will be anything worth doing. What I want to say is that I want to brighten some people. Although is just a small act it like organize games and paint a wall it makes my life in this world meaningful. Life is the events and live is the basic need to stay alive. We should live our life rather than to live for the sake of living.

Cambodia, helping people, love, and friends and giving all these are big words before the trip. I personally know it is just saying but only when I did it than I will truly understand. People, will there be happy when they see us? We they feel warm? Will they understand? Will things happen as we planed? Although having the heart to serve but these uncertainties makes me worry. Nonetheless I feel that that uncertainties make it special to go Cambodia, if everything happened as we planed the value is not as great.

Many things are going on in organizing the trip, many views from each person and many objections in disagreeing with others. We may not have the same perception, same personalities and same feeling. However, I believe the people going the trip will bring a whole heart to give and share and they know the reason of their life. They want to serve so they join the trip right?

People say that serving trip will be more work and fun, but I am sure that we will take pleasure in the work we do. Getting fun from social activities, sight seeing and shopping. And that everyone will get his or her thoughts back to Singapore. The trip will be a memorable (bad or good) and fun.

I do not know what will happen in Cambodia, but all I wish is that everyone will be save back home and that we will be a person who has the extra passion in our heart.

We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.

Stanley


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home